Thai watchdog had flagged concerns on building that collapsed in earthquake

Thai watchdog had flagged concerns on building that collapsed in earthquake
Thai Army soldiers guard as rescuers work on March, 30, 2025 at the site of an under-construction high-rise building that collapsed on Friday after an earthquake in Bangkok, Thailand. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 31 March 2025
Follow

Thai watchdog had flagged concerns on building that collapsed in earthquake

Thai watchdog had flagged concerns on building that collapsed in earthquake
  • The government had threatened to cancel the project earlier this year because of delays
  • The government has announced an investigation into the cause of the collapse of the tower

BANGKOK: An anti-corruption watchdog had flagged irregularities in the construction of a Bangkok skyscraper that collapsed in an earthquake last week and killed at least 11 people, the head of the monitoring group said.
The government had threatened to cancel the project earlier this year because of delays, Mana Nimitmongkol, president of the Anti-Corruption Organization of Thailand, said on Sunday.
The government has announced an investigation into the cause of the collapse of the tower, which was being built by a Chinese company and a long-established Thai construction firm.
Rescuers were still desperately searching on Monday for 76 more people feared trapped under the rubble of the unfinished 30-storey tower for Thailand’s State Audit Office.
The unfinished tower was the only Bangkok building that completely crumbled when a 7.7 magnitude quake struck central Myanmar on Friday and rattled neighboring countries.
Construction of the building, which began in 2020, is being carried out by a joint venture between Italian Thai Development PCL and a local subsidiary of China’s state-owned China Railway Group, the China Railway Number 10 (Thailand) Ltd.
Italian Thai Development and China Railway Group did not immediately comment when contacted by Reuters.
The audit office has said that it will investigate the cause of the building collapse. It did not answer emailed questions from Reuters whether it had threatened to cancel the construction contract.
The tower was originally slated for completion by 2026 but was behind schedule. The deputy auditor general, Sutthipong Boonnithi, told reporters on Saturday that construction was only “30 percent completed” before it collapsed.
Site visits to the project during construction by the anti-corruption group had raised concerns about delays, worker shortages and possible corner-cutting, Mana said.
“Sometimes the number of workers on site were much fewer than there should be, causing delays,” he said. “Potentially there was a rush to complete the project toward the end, which could cause a drop in the standard of work.”
Mana, whose organization scrutinizes some 170 government projects around the country, said the construction delay was so severe that the audit office had threatened to cancel the contract with the two construction companies in January.
Share prices of ITD tumbled 30 percent when markets opened on Monday against a benchmark drop of one percent.
No other building collapsed
Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra ordered government agencies on Saturday to investigate the root cause of the building collapse within one week.
The official Thai investigation is looking into the construction plan, the standard of the material used as well as possible unsafe action during the construction of the building.
Han Zhinqiang, China’s ambassador to Thailand, said on Sunday that China would cooperate in the investigation.
Thai Industry Minister Akanat Promphan said that he was concerned sub-standard steel may have been used in the construction of the building as he led the team collecting samples from the rubble on Sunday.
The material gathered was being tested at the site, and results were expected to be announced on Monday afternoon.
The ministry has been cracking down on companies that have produced sub-standard steel over the past six months, shutting down seven factories and seizing 360 million baht (about $10 million) worth of assets from these steel companies, he said.
“Many of these factories used an old production process and equipment relocated from China,” Akanat said, adding: “This has led to sub-standard steel.”
Experts from the council of engineers that is assisting the government in surveying buildings around the Thai capital for earthquake damages speculated that the skyscraper could have collapsed due to unsafe material or poor planning in the building process.
“It is strange that no other buildings suffered like this,” Anek Siripanichgorn, a board member of the Council of Engineers Thailand said.
“Even other tall buildings under construction, they did not collapse,” he said.


What is the International Criminal Court and how can a member country like Hungary leave?

What is the International Criminal Court and how can a member country like Hungary leave?
Updated 27 sec ago
Follow

What is the International Criminal Court and how can a member country like Hungary leave?

What is the International Criminal Court and how can a member country like Hungary leave?
  • Liz Evenson, international justice director at Human Rights Watch: We expect other ICC members and particularly EU member states who are united in their commitment to the court to press Hungary hard on meeting its clear, legal obligations on arrest”

THE HAGUE, Netherlands: After giving a red carpet welcome this week to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is wanted by the International Criminal Court for alleged crimes against humanity in Gaza, Hungary announced it would quit the court.
Should Hungary follow through with its withdrawal from the world’s only permanent global court for war crimes and genocide, it will become only the third country in the institution’s history of more than 20 years to do so. The process will take more than a year.
Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, who gave the Israeli leader a welcome with full military honors on Thursday in defiance of the ICC arrest warrant, signed the Rome Statute, which established the court, during his first term in office.
What is the International Criminal Court?
The ICC was established in The Hague in 2002 as the court of last resort to prosecute individuals responsible for the world’s most heinous atrocities: war crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide and the crime of aggression. It takes on cases when nations are unable or unwilling to prosecute crimes on their territory.
Hungary signed the Rome Statute in 1999 and ratified the treaty on Nov. 30, 2001.
The court’s newest member, Ukraine, formally joined in January, bringing the number of member states to 125. The United States, Russia, China and Israel are among nations that are not members.
Judges at the court have issued 60 arrest warrants and convicted 11 people. Last month, the court arrested former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on murder charges linked to the deadly “war on drugs” that he oversaw while in office.
What is the process for leaving the court?
The Rome Statute lays out the steps a member state needs to take if they want to withdraw from the court. The state party must inform the Secretary-General of the United Nations and the withdrawal takes effect one year after the receipt of the notification.
Announcing it will leave, however, doesn’t free Hungary from its duties under the treaty.
“There is a provision which says that your obligation to cooperate continues for the cases that were ongoing when you were still a party,” Göran Sluiter, professor of international criminal law at the University of Amsterdam, told The Associated Press. “So they still have an ongoing obligation to arrest Netanyahu,” he said.
Zsolt Semjén, Hungary’s deputy prime minister, submitted a bill to parliament to approve the withdrawal, which is expected to pass.
Just two other countries have left the court. The East African nation of Burundi left in 2017 and, in 2019, then-President Duterte withdrew the Philippines after judges allowed the investigation into his drug crackdown that killed thousands to continue.
If Hungary leaves, it will become the only country in the European Union that is not a member of the court.
Why is Netanyahu wanted by the court?
A three-judge panel issued arrest warrants in November for Netanyahu, his former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant and Hamas’ military chief, Mohammed Deif, accusing them of crimes against humanity in connection with the 13-month war in Gaza.
The warrants said there was reason to believe Netanyahu and Gallant have used “starvation as a method of warfare” by restricting humanitarian aid and intentionally targeted civilians in Israel’s campaign against Hamas in Gaza, charges Israeli officials deny.
The warrant marked the first time a sitting leader of a major Western ally has been accused of war crimes and crimes against humanity by the global court of justice and has sparked major pushback from supporters of Israel, including the US
The ICC criticized Hungary’s decision to defy its warrant for Netanyahu, with the court’s spokesperson, Fadi El Abdallah, saying on Thursday that the court “recalls that Hungary remains under a duty to cooperate with the ICC.”
Human rights groups also have condemned the move.
“Hungary still has the opportunity to arrest Netanyahu — as unlikely as that seems, there’s still time. We expect other ICC members and particularly EU member states who are united in their commitment to the court to press Hungary hard on meeting its clear, legal obligations on arrest,” Liz Evenson, international justice director at Human Rights Watch, told the AP.
Last year, Mongolia refused to arrest Russian President Vladimir Putin during a state visit. Judges ruled Mongolia had failed to comply with its obligations and referred the matter to the court’s oversight board, the Assembly of States Parties.
 

 


IRS starts laying off 20,000 workers, eliminates civil rights office

IRS starts laying off 20,000 workers, eliminates civil rights office
Updated 53 min 55 sec ago
Follow

IRS starts laying off 20,000 workers, eliminates civil rights office

IRS starts laying off 20,000 workers, eliminates civil rights office
  • They come amid the busiest time of the year for the IRS

The US Internal Revenue Service began making sweeping cuts to its workforce on Friday, the agency’s leadership said in an email to staff on Friday, and among the first to go will be employees of its civil rights office.
Reuters previously reported that more than 20,000 staff would be cut, which a source familiar with Friday’s announcement confirmed, saying 20 percent-25 percent of the tax-collecting agency’s workforce would be targeted.
The start of the layoffs and the civil rights office’s elimination were first reported by the Washington Post.
The cuts are part of a major overhaul of the federal workforce that has already cost more than 200,000 workers their jobs. President Donald Trump has tasked billionaire Elon Musk with leading the reshaping and downsizing of the government.
“The IRS has begun implementing a Reduction in Force (RIF) that will result in staffing cuts across multiple offices and job categories,” an internal human resources email sent to all staff said on Friday.
The email said 75 percent of the agency’s civil rights office, previously called the office of diversity, equity and inclusion, will be cut and its remaining employees will move under a separate office.
Trump has passed executive orders aimed at dismantling DEI initiatives that he has labeled discriminatory. Civil rights groups have condemned the actions, saying DEI measures help in addressing historical and generational inequity.
The email said the mass layoffs would take place in phases.
They come amid the busiest time of the year for the IRS, with the filing deadline for most individual tax returns falling on April 15. 


A week after catastrophic earthquake, focus turns to humanitarian crisis

A week after catastrophic earthquake, focus turns to humanitarian crisis
Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

A week after catastrophic earthquake, focus turns to humanitarian crisis

A week after catastrophic earthquake, focus turns to humanitarian crisis
  • Myanmar’s military and several key armed resistance groups have all declared ceasefires in the wake of the earthquake to facilitate the flow of humanitarian aid

BANGKOK: Search teams in Myanmar recovered more bodies from the ruins of buildings on Friday, a week after a massive earthquake killed more than 3,100 people, as the focus turns toward the urgent humanitarian needs in a country already devastated by a continuing civil war.
UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher, who is also the emergency relief coordinator, will visit the area on Friday in an effort to spur action following the March 28 quake. Ahead of the visit, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres appealed to the international community to immediately step up funding for quake victims “to match the scale of this crisis,” and he urged unimpeded access to reach those in need.
“The earthquake has supercharged the suffering with the monsoon season just around the corner,” he said.

FASTFACT

Myanmar’s military and several key armed resistance groups have all declared ceasefires in the wake of the earthquake to facilitate the flow of humanitarian aid.

Myanmar’s military and several key armed resistance groups have all declared ceasefires in the wake of the earthquake to facilitate the flow of humanitarian aid.
But the UN’s Human Rights Office on Friday accused the military of continuing attacks, claiming there were more than 60 attacks after the earthquake, including 16 since the military announced a temporary ceasefire on Wednesday.
“I urge a halt to all military operations, and for the focus to be on assisting those impacted by the quake, as well as ensuring unhindered access to humanitarian organizations that are ready to support,” said UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk. “I hope this terrible tragedy can be a turning point for the country toward an inclusive political solution.”
Announcing its ceasefire, the military also said it would still take “necessary” measures against resistance groups, if they use the ceasefire to regroup, train or launch attacks, and the groups have said they reserved the right to defend themselves.
Myanmar’s military seized power in 2021 from the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi, sparking what has turned into a civil war.
The quake worsened an already dire humanitarian crisis, with more than 3 million people displaced from their homes and nearly 20 million in need even before it hit, according to the United Nations.
Myanmar authorities said Thursday that 3,145 people had been killed in the earthquake, with another 4,589 people injured and 221 missing, and did not immediately update the figures on Friday.
Britain, which had already given $13 million to purchase emergency items like food, water and shelter, pledged an additional $6.5 million in funds to match an appeal from Myanmar’s Disasters Emergency Committee, according to the UK Embassy in Yangon.
The World Food Program said so far it has reached 24,000 survivors, but was scaling up its efforts to assist 850,000 with food and cash assistance for one month.
Many international search and rescue teams are now on the scene, and eight medical crews from China, Thailand, Japan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, the Philippines, Indonesia and Russia were operating in Naypyitaw, according to Myanmar’s military-run government. Another five teams from India, Russia, Laos and Nepal and Singapore were helping in the Mandalay region, while teams from Russia, Malaysia and the ASEAN bloc of nations were assisting in the Sagaing region.
The Trump administration has pledged $2 million in emergency aid and sent a three-person team to assess how best to respond given drastic cuts to US foreign assistance.

 

 


Rescuers search for a girl missing after boat disaster

Rescuers search for a girl missing after boat disaster
Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Rescuers search for a girl missing after boat disaster

Rescuers search for a girl missing after boat disaster
  • Turkish authorities had reported the sinking of a boat carrying migrants in the same area on Thursday

GREECE: Greece’s Coast Guard said on Friday that a search and rescue operation off an eastern island near the Turkish coast had still not found any trace of a child reported missing after a rubber dinghy carrying migrants sank, leaving seven people dead and 23 rescued.
The search continued for a second day, after survivors told authorities there had been a total of 31 people in the small dinghy.
A Coast Guard patrol boat came across the vessel, measuring about 5 meters in length, in the early hours of Thursday morning when it was already taking on water and most of its passengers had fallen into the sea, the coast guard said.

BACKGROUND

Greece is one of the main entry points into the EU for people fleeing conflict and poverty in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.

The Coast Guard said on Thursday that all those on board were from Afghanistan.
One of the survivors, identified only as a 20-year-old man, was recognized by other passengers as having piloted the boat and was arrested on suspicion of migrant smuggling.
Turkish authorities had also reported the sinking of a boat carrying migrants in the same area on Thursday.
The Canakkale governor’s office said the Turkish coast guard received an emergency call for help from a migrant boat on Thursday morning.
Nine bodies were recovered, while one person was reported missing, and 25 people were rescued, the governor’s office said.
Greece is one of the main entry points into the EU for people fleeing conflict and poverty in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia, with many making the short but often treacherous journey from the Turkish coast to nearby Greek islands in inflatable dinghies or other small boats.
Many are unseaworthy, or set out in bad weather, and fatal accidents have been common.

 


Senegal faces a challenging future, warns president

Senegal faces a challenging future, warns president
Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Senegal faces a challenging future, warns president

Senegal faces a challenging future, warns president
  • The IMF said in March that there were “significant” errors in Senegal’s public debt figures for 2019-23 and called for “corrective measures”

DAKAR: Senegal’s President Bassirou Diomaye Faye has warned in his annual state of the nation speech that the country faces a challenging financial future that would need sacrifices.
Faye spoke after authorities and the International Monetary Fund said the previous government had underestimated the West African nation’s debt levels.
“The state of our country’s public finances, as revealed by the audit, means that we must count first of all on ourselves to redress the situation,” said Faye, who took office one year ago.
He said “collective sacrifices” would be needed but added: “We are very capable, and we will succeed with the mobilization of everyone.”
Social tensions have risen in recent months, and the government’s financial watchdog said in a report released in February that Senegal’s debt was at more than 99 percent of its gross domestic product, higher than the figure given by the last government.
It said the 2023 budget deficit was 12.3 percent of the GDP, when the last government said it was 4.9 percent.
The IMF said in March that there were “significant” errors in Senegal’s public debt figures for 2019-23 and called for “corrective measures.”
Faye called for “active solidarity” to confront the “numerous challenges” facing the country but said that “budget discipline is not negotiable.”