Russian response to US truce plans inadequate ‘for too long’: Zelensky

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky looks on as he gives a press conference in Kyiv on March 28, 2025, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (AFP)
Short Url
  • “For too long now, America’s proposal for an unconditional ceasefire has been on the table without an adequate response from Russia,” Zelensky says

KYIV, Ukraine: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Saturday that Russia’s response to US ceasefire efforts had been inadequate “for too long,” and that Moscow needed to be pressured into a peace deal.
Both Moscow and Kyiv agreed to the concept of a Black Sea truce following talks with US officials earlier this week, but Russia said it would not enter into force until the West lifted certain sanctions.
“For too long now, America’s proposal for an unconditional ceasefire has been on the table without an adequate response from Russia,” Zelensky said in his evening address.
“There could already be a ceasefire if there was real pressure on Russia,” he added, thanking those countries “who understand this” and have stepped up sanctions pressure on the Kremlin.
US President Donald Trump has been pushing for a speedy end to the more than three-year war since taking office, but his administration has failed to reach a breakthrough despite talks with both sides.
Russian President Vladimir Putin rejected a joint US-Ukrainian plan for a 30-day ceasefire, and on Friday suggested Zelensky be removed from office as part of the peace process, further toughening Moscow’s negotiating position and angering Kyiv.