Democrats trying to block Palestine-supporting Jill Stein’s party from key US swing state: Report

Democrats trying to block Palestine-supporting Jill Stein’s party from key US swing state: Report
Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein speaks at a Pro-Palestinian protest in front of the White House on June 8, 2024 in Washington, DC. (Getty Images via AFP)
Short Url
Updated 15 August 2024
Follow

Democrats trying to block Palestine-supporting Jill Stein’s party from key US swing state: Report

Democrats trying to block Palestine-supporting Jill Stein’s party from key US swing state: Report
  • Complaint alleges Green Party is ineligible in Wisconsin
  • Stein emerging as top choice for Arab-American voters

RIYADH: The Green Party’s nominee for the upcoming US presidential election, Jill Stein, who is emerging as the most-favored candidate of Arab Americans, is reportedly being targeted by allies of Vice President Kamala Harris.

An employee of the Democratic National Committee, David Strange, filed a complaint Wednesday seeking to remove Stein from the ballot in the key state of Wisconsin, arguing that the party was ineligible, The Associated Press reported on Thursday.

It is the “latest move by the DNC to block third-party candidates from the ballot,” said the report, noting that Democrats are also seeking to stop independent candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. in several states.

The report was carried by various media outlets in the US.

Stein, known for her vocal support of Palestinian rights, has emerged as the top choice among Arab-American voters for the Nov. 5 elections, according to a poll conducted late last month by the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee.

Stein, a physician and environmentalist, received support from more than 45.3 percent of the respondents, while Harris received 27.5 percent.

Republican candidate Donald Trump polled only 2 percent, while 17.9 percent were undecided.

The Green Party’s appearance on the presidential ballot could make a difference in the swing state of Wisconsin, where four of the past six presidential elections have been decided by between 5,700 and 23,000 votes, the AP report said.

Stein is expected to become the Green Party’s presidential nominee at its national convention, which begins Thursday. The party has yet to respond to the DNC’s move.

Why Jill Stein?

Arab-American voters have increasingly gravitated toward Stein owing to her advocacy for Palestinian rights and her opposition to the Israeli military’s actions in Gaza since October, the ADC’s national executive director Abed Ayoub explained earlier in a post on X.

The latest survey showed a big jump in backing since the ADC’s last opinion poll in May, where she led with 25 percent support. In that poll, President Joe Biden, who was still the presumptive Democratic candidate before he withdrew from the race in July, got 7 percent of the Arab-American vote.

Trump polled only 2 percent.

Chris Habiby, the national government affairs and advocacy director for the ADC, said Stein’s support for a two-state solution and an end to Israel’s brutal military offensive in the Gaza Strip is driving her popularity among Arab- and Muslim-American voters.

Israel’s military campaign in the Gaza Strip has killed over 40,000 civilians, most of them women and children.

“Dr. Jill Stein has been very clear and emphatic in her anti-genocide message,” Habiby said on The Ray Hanania Radio Show, as reported earlier in Arab News.

In his column in Arab News, Hanania noted that while the poll numbers for Harris was much better compared to Biden’s, her scornful response to a handful of Detroit protesters calling on her to press for a ceasefire in Gaza may not augur well for her campaign.

Hanania said her response was “a major political blunder that has sparked robust debate in many swing states.” This was where Arabs and Muslims showed during the Democratic primary elections, over the past six months, that “they can deflect thousands of votes away from Biden.”

This had erased his slim margin of victory in 2020 over Trump, wrote Hanania.

“The Democrats are afraid to acknowledge the anti-Biden vote, and the likelihood that it will grow if Harris refuses to take the Arab and Muslim community seriously,” Hanania added.

 

Veteran pollster John Zogby, president and founder of the polling company John Zogby Strategies, noted that Harris was currently leading the upward trendline mainly because she was enjoying a short honeymoon driven by her newness as a candidate.

However, this popularity could change, he said, noting that Arab and Muslim voters have more influence today than they have ever had since first settling in this country, and that the issue driving their vote was Gaza.

In 2022, 2.2 million people in the US reported having Arab ancestry in that year’s Arab Community Survey. The majority are native-born, and 85 percent in the US are citizens.

While the community traces its roots to every Arab country, the majority have ancestral ties in Lebanon, Egypt, Syria, Palestine and Iraq. The top four states by Arab-American population size are California, Florida, Minnesota and Michigan.

DNC’s ‘Strange’ argument

The last time Stein was on the ballot in Wisconsin for the Green Party was in 2016, when she got just over 31,000 votes — more than Trump’s winning margin that year of just under 23,000 votes.

Some Democrats blamed Stein for helping Trump win the state and the presidency, the AP report said.




Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein speaks at a Pro-Palestinian protest in front of the White House on June 8, 2024 in Washington, DC. (Getty Images via AFP)

The bipartisan elections commission in February unanimously approved ballot access for the Green Party’s presidential nominee this year because the party won more than 1 percent of the vote in a statewide race in 2022.

Green Party candidate Sharyl McFarland got nearly 1.6 percent of the vote in a four-way race for secretary of state, coming in last.

But the complaint filed with the commission by Strange, deputy operations director in Wisconsin for the DNC, alleges that the Green Party cannot nominate presidential electors in Wisconsin, and without them they are forbidden from having a presidential candidate on the ballot.

State law requires that those who nominate electors in October be state officers, which includes members of the legislature, judges and others. They could also be candidates for the legislature.

The Green Party does not have anyone who qualifies to be a nominator, and therefore cannot legally name a slate of presidential electors as required by law, the complaint alleges.

Because the Green Party could have mounted write-in campaigns for legislative candidates in Tuesday’s primary, but did not, the complaint could not have been brought any sooner than Wednesday, the filing alleges.

“We take the nomination process for President and Vice President very seriously and believe every candidate should follow the rules,“ Adrienne Watson, senior adviser to the DNC, said in a statement.

“Because the Wisconsin Green Party hasn’t fielded candidates for legislative or statewide office and doesn’t have any current incumbent legislative or statewide office holders, it cannot nominate candidates and should not be on the ballot in November.”

This is not the first time the Green Party’s ballot status has been challenged.

In 2020, the Wisconsin Supreme Court kept the Green Party presidential candidate off the ballot after it upheld a deadlocked Wisconsin Elections Commission, which could not agree on whether the candidates filed proper paperwork.

This year, in addition to the Republican, Democratic and Green parties, the Constitution and Libertarian parties also have ballot access.

The commission is meeting on Aug. 27 to determine whether four independent candidates for president, including Kennedy and Cornel West, meet the requirements to appear on the ballot.

The DNC member, Strange, has asked that the commission also consider its complaint at that meeting.

The AP report stated that there “are signs in some swing states, including Wisconsin, that those behind third-party candidates are trying to affect the outcome of the presidential race by using deceptive means — and in most cases in ways that would benefit Trump.

“Their aim is to offer left-leaning, third-party alternatives who could siphon off a few thousand protest votes.”

The latest Marquette University Law School poll conducted July 24 through Aug. 1 showed the presidential contest in Wisconsin between Democrat Harris and Trump to be about even among likely voters.

Stein barely registered, with about 1 percent support, while Kennedy had 6 percent.


Tornadoes, heavy rains rip across central, southern US

Tornadoes, heavy rains rip across central, southern US
Updated 57 min 27 sec ago
Follow

Tornadoes, heavy rains rip across central, southern US

Tornadoes, heavy rains rip across central, southern US
  • Violent storms are forecast to ravage the country for several days

Tornadoes ripped across a wide swath of central and southern United States on Wednesday, destroying homes and businesses and bringing down power lines and trees.
The National Weather Service said there had been at least 15 reports of tornadoes in at least four states by late Wednesday.
Eight people have been injured across Kentucky and Arkansas, including one critically injured in Kentucky’s Ballard County, local officials said.
Late Wednesday, Arkansas Governor Sarah Huckabee Sanders declared a state of emergency across the state due to the storms, which also brought hail and torrential rain.
The NWS said millions of people were under alerts for tornadoes and flash floods and that dangers would continue into early Thursday.
Violent storms are forecast to ravage the country for several days, the NWS said, with Wednesday just “the beginning of a multi-day catastrophic and potentially historic heavy rainfall event.”
“The word for tonight is ‘chaotic,’” said Scott Kleebauer, a NWS meteorologist. “This is a large expanse of storms migrating slowly to the east, stretching from southeast Michigan down into southeastern Arkansas.”
The town of Nevada, Missouri, was hit by a tornado. Writing on social media, the state’s Emergency Management Agency said it caused “major damage to several businesses, power poles were snapped and several (empty) train cars were flipped onto their sides by the powerful storm!“
The NWS issued tornado and flash flood warnings for parts of Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and Oklahoma.
It called the rain threats for Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee and Mississippi in the coming days a “generational flood event” with some locations forecast to see as much as 15 inches (38.1 cm) of rain by the weekend, which could cause rivers to burst their banks and cause “catastrophic river flooding.”
More than 400,000 customers had their power knocked out across the storm-hit area, according to PowerOutage.us.


Boat carrying migrants capsizes near Greek island

Boat carrying migrants capsizes near Greek island
Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Boat carrying migrants capsizes near Greek island

Boat carrying migrants capsizes near Greek island
  • Greece is one of the main entry points into the European Union for people fleeing conflict and poverty
  • The Greek government has cracked down with increased patrols at sea

ATHENS: A broad search and rescue operation was underway early Thursday near the eastern Greek island of Lesbos after a boat carrying migrants capsized while heading to the island from the nearby Turkish coast, Greece’s coast guard said.
Weather in the area was reported to be good, and it was unclear what caused the boat to overturn early Thursday morning. The coast guard said 23 people have been rescued. There was no immediate information on the survivors’ nationalities or the type of vessel they had been using.
There were no specific reports of missing people, but a sea and land search and rescue operation was continuing, with three coast guard vessels, an air force helicopter and a nearby boat searching for potential further victims.
Greece is one of the main entry points into the European Union for people fleeing conflict and poverty in the Middle East, Africa and Asia, with many making the short but often treacherous journey from the Turkish coast to nearby Greek islands in inflatable dinghies.
The Greek government has cracked down with increased patrols at sea, and many smuggling rings have shifted their operations south, using larger boats to transport people from the northern coast of Africa to southern Greece.


Search for long-missing flight MH370 suspended: Malaysia minister

Search for long-missing flight MH370 suspended: Malaysia minister
Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Search for long-missing flight MH370 suspended: Malaysia minister

Search for long-missing flight MH370 suspended: Malaysia minister
  • The Boeing 777 carrying 239 people disappeared from radar screens on March 8, 2014 while en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Kuala Lumpur: The latest search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has been suspended, Kuala Lumpur’s transport minister said, more than a decade after the plane went missing.
“They have stopped the operation for the time being, they will resume the search at the end of this year,” Transport Minister Anthony Loke said in a voice recording sent to AFP on Thursday by his aide.
The Boeing 777 carrying 239 people disappeared from radar screens on March 8, 2014 while en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
Despite the largest search in aviation history, the plane has not been found.
Loke’s comments come just one month after authorities said the search had resumed, following earlier failed attempts that covered vast swathes of the Indian Ocean.
An initial Australia-led search covered 120,000 square kilometers (46,300 square miles) in the Indian Ocean over three years, but found hardly any trace of the plane other than a few pieces of debris.
Maritime exploration firm Ocean Infinity, based in Britain and the United States, led an unsuccessful hunt in 2018, before agreeing to launch a new search this year.
“Right now, it’s not the season,” Loke said in the recording, which was made during an event at Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Wednesday.
“Whether or not it will be found will be subject to the search, nobody can anticipate,” Loke said, referring to the wreckage of the plane.


Myanmar earthquake toll crosses 3,000; forecast rains pose new threat for rescuers

Myanmar earthquake toll crosses 3,000; forecast rains pose new threat for rescuers
Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Myanmar earthquake toll crosses 3,000; forecast rains pose new threat for rescuers

Myanmar earthquake toll crosses 3,000; forecast rains pose new threat for rescuers
  • Last Friday’s 7.7-magnitude quake jolted a region home to 28 million, toppling buildings and flattening communities
  • Conditions could get even tougher for the huge relief effort after weather officials warned of unseasonal rain

BANGKOK: The death toll from Myanmar’s devastating earthquake has surpassed 3,000, with hundreds more missing, as forecasts of unseasonal rain presented a new challenge for rescue and aid workers trying to reach people in a country riven by civil war.
Last Friday’s 7.7-magnitude quake, one of the Southeast Asian nation’s strongest in a century, jolted a region home to 28 million, toppling buildings, flattening communities and leaving many without food, water and shelter.
Deaths rose to 3,003 on Wednesday, with 4,515 injured and 351 missing, Myanmar’s embassy in Japan said on Facebook, while rescuers scramble to find more.
But conditions could get even tougher for the huge relief effort after weather officials warned unseasonal rain from Sunday to April 11 could threaten the areas hardest-hit by the quake, such as Mandalay, Sagaing and the capital Naypyidaw.
“Rain is incoming and there are still so many buried,” an aid worker in Myanmar told Reuters. “And in Mandalay, especially, if it starts to rain, people who are buried will drown even if they’ve survived until this point.”
There have been 53 airlifts of aid to Myanmar, the embassy in Japan added in its post, while more than 1,900 rescue workers arrived from 15 countries, including Southeast Asian neighbors and China, India and Russia.
Despite the devastation, junta chief Min Aung Hlaing will leave his disaster-stricken country on Thursday for a rare trip to a regional summit in Bangkok, state television said.
It is an uncommon foreign visit for a general regarded as a pariah by many countries and the subject of Western sanctions and an International Criminal Court investigation.
Unseasonal rain
The rains will add to the challenges faced by aid and rescue groups, which have called for access to all affected areas despite the strife of civil war.
The military has struggled to run Myanmar since its return to power in a 2021 coup that unseated the elected civilian government of Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.
The generals have been internationally isolated since the takeover and Myanmar’s economy and basic services, including health care, have been reduced to tatters amid the strife.
On Wednesday state-run MRTV said a unilateral government ceasefire would take immediate effect for 20 days, to support relief efforts after the quake, but warned authorities would “respond accordingly” if rebels launched attacks.
The move came after a major rebel alliance declared a ceasefire on Tuesday to assist the humanitarian effort.
Nearly a week after the quake, searchers in neighboring Thailand hunting for survivors combed a mountain of debris left after a skyscraper in the capital, Bangkok, collapsed while under construction.
Rescuers are using mechanical diggers and bulldozers to break up 100 tons of concrete to locate any still alive after the disaster that killed 15 people, with 72 still missing.
Thailand’s nationwide toll stands at 22.


South Korea discovers two tonnes of suspected cocaine on board ship

South Korea discovers two tonnes of suspected cocaine on board ship
Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

South Korea discovers two tonnes of suspected cocaine on board ship

South Korea discovers two tonnes of suspected cocaine on board ship
  • Korea Customs Service and Coast Guard found 57 boxes of the suspected drug on a bulk ship docked at Gangneung city port
  • The ship started its voyage in Mexico and traveled via Ecuador, Panama and China before reaching Gangneung

SEOUL: South Korean authorities found about two tonnes of suspected cocaine on Wednesday on a ship docked at a port, the customs service said, in what appears to be the largest haul of smuggled drugs in the country’s history.
Korea Customs Service and Coast Guard found 57 boxes of the suspected drug on a bulk ship docked at Gangneung city port on the east coast of the Korean Peninsula, the customs service said in a statement.
They searched the ship after receiving information from the US Federal Bureau of Investigation and Homeland Security Investigations, South Korean authorities said.
The ship started its voyage in Mexico and traveled via Ecuador, Panama and China before reaching Gangneung, the statement said.
The customs agency had earlier estimated the weight of the suspected drugs at about one ton, but doubled it after weighing the boxes.
The suspected cocaine haul easily outweighs South Korea’s previous record for smuggled drugs, which was 404 kilograms of methamphetamine found in 2021, a customs spokesperson said.
South Korea has tough drug laws, and crimes are typically punishable by at least six months in prison or up to 15 years or more for repeat offenders and dealers.